Wednesday, April 22, 2009

unwanted suitors

Allow me to vent for a moment.

I ride the bus on a regular basis (that may be a bit of understatement...I take 4 buses a day to get to and from work) and, while not ideal, this is kind of my alone time. Time that I put on my headphones, listen to my favorite radio station, spiritfm, read a book or magazine and just sit.
I am not riding the bus, or sitting at a bus stop, waiting for Prince Charming to come along and sweep me off my feet.

Don't get me wrong here, I am open to chatting with my fellow commuters and/or the bus driver. My headphones are always low enough that I can hear what's going on around me.
What I don't appreciate is being hit on, or asked for my phone number when I am clearly tuning my surroundings out and after I have concisely and politely informed the suitor that I have a boyfriend. It is none of your business how long we have been together or how serious the relationship is.

Telling me that I'm pretty and look 18 and then proceeding to say you're in your late 40s is just creepy. If you thought I was that young, why on earth are you hitting on me?? You'd be old enough to be my father!

Asking me if I'm available and then, after I say no, asking if you can have my phone number is just plain disrespectful. Would you want to date someone who gives out their number to random strangers within 2 minutes of meeting them? I wouldn't!

So, seriously, if you're sitting beside me, or anyone for that matter, on the bus or at a bus stop and you feel the urge to open up those lines of communication, don't let this rant stop you. I have had several nice conversations and even exchanged numbers with people I've met on my commute AFTER speaking with them several times and with honest, good intentions.

I am merely speaking out against the creepers. The ones who ogle anyone with 2 x chromosomes. The ones, who after you politely answer whatever question it is they had, then turn away and put headphones in, continue you to tap you on your shoulder and ask about your personal life. The ones who feel it is within their right to tell you they're a better match for you then the one you're with...even though they have yet to learn your name.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not exactly sure why, but this blog totally made me think of a song by one of my fave bands (Everclear) called "Unemployed Boyfriend". If you ever have a moment, see if you can find the track to listen to. I know that it's almost the exact opposite of what your saying here, but it's still a pretty good song.

    ReplyDelete