Thursday, April 30, 2009

domino disposition

Lately I've been noticing that my daily interactions with people tend to set the tone for the rest of that day. Whether it's due to that encounter heightening or lowering my mood is up for discussion...though that's the conclusion I'm reaching towards.

Yesterday was a great day. Nothing extraordinary happened...just a good day. I woke up before the alarm today...always a good thing. Nothing like not being startled awake in the am! Got up took a nice, hot shower...gotta love those...made myself an everything bagel with cream cheese, filled up my water bottle and packed up my backpack. So far a fairly typical day.

My roommates grandmother is in town and she was up. Had a nice convo with her while I was getting ready. This wasn't a grandeur talk...maybe 10 minutes in total...no serious topics were broached...just some simple, good-morning-how-are-you-have-a-good-day small talk that ended with a hug and a see you later. But it was pleasant and so I left the house in a good mood.

I got to work, had 5 clients back-to-back, and just as a grumble was starting to creep up on me, my 3:00 came in. I had worked on him once before and he had come back and asked for me. He is a Christ-follower and I remembered him well because we had had a good talk about Christ and being a Christian. My mood instantly relightened as I awaited what our conversation, if any, might entail. I was not disappointed.

I left work with a smile on my face. I then headed off to home team, which is always good for my mood and spirit. All in all, it was a great day that started off with what may seem to have been an insignificant beginning.

Conversely, today didn't start off as happily. I, again, woke up before the dreaded alarm, grabbed a bagel, packed a lunch and headed off to catch the bus.

My first encounter was with the bus driver. Typically the drivers are quite nice. We exchange pleasantries and I go about my day. Today, however, she was not so pleasant. I told her the bike rack was bent making it difficult to put the bike on correctly and she snapped back that it didn't matter. That's fine. I was just letting her know so she could pass along the information. Her attitude certainly put a damper on my mood.

Isn't it funny how one person can completely change your disposition? It makes me think that maybe, just maybe, I need to depend less on others for happiness and more on myself and God. What if the tone of my day was set by how great of a prayer session I had that morning rather than by the snide remark someone made on the bus?

1 comment:

  1. With the team I have at work, it's easy for me to say I don't dread going in to work because we all get along so well and have a great time. It's hard to say that about many work places. But there is always someone who doesn't take the time to ask questions when they should, and just assume that they know the right way to do something, and it just sets my day into a bad spiral. Thankfully, this is usually not someone on my immediate team.

    The tough part is not allowing it to get to you. Especially for me. I have a tendency to boil and let stuff really bother me. I don't know why. But I can say that I wish that someone would give a pleasant smile or a quick comment to make me smile at those times so that I can forget what I was steaming over.

    It's awesome that you had someone provide a stimulating conversation that allowed you to end your day pleasantly. ;)

    ReplyDelete