Saturday, May 30, 2009

color me christian

Life is like a coloring book. I know, I know...it sounds like I'm going on a Forrest Gump route...trust me, I'm not. Allow me to elaborate...

Like most kids, I loved coloring. I wasn't much of a scribbler though, I was more interested in the end product. I wanted a beautiful picture, not a mess of color.

Staying inside the lines took more time, concentration and work; while scribbling was much easier, quicker and, at times, more fun. The end product of scribbling was never anything grandeur though. Definitely not anything I was proud to hang on the refrigerator.

Staying inside the lines could be hard though. Sometimes there were intricate details, my hand would slip, my brother or sisters would knock my hand or move the book, I would get distracted or I was just too lazy or tired to pay attention to what I was doing. Luckily, if I messed up on a picture, I could just turn the page and have a blank slate to start all over again.

That's kind of how I see life. God has set the rules, guidelines, boundaries...whatever you want to call them...for us in the bible. He then gave us free will. Just as in a coloring book, we choose whether or not to stay inside the lines. Sometimes there are outside forces making that more difficult. Often those force aren't coming from the outside at all.

Then God sent His son to die for our sins. So when we mess up, and go outside the lines, we can simply turn the page and start anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment