Sunday, March 13, 2011

I am not a Masseuse

I am not a masseuse.

I am a Licensed Massage Therapist.

I spent a lot of time, energy and money to earn that title.  There is a LOT more to being an LMT then just 'rubbing people'.  I've studied anatomy & physiology, kinesiology, pathophysiology, history of massage, and eastern & western modalities.

I know what I'm doing.  I am not spreading lotion on you haphazardly.
When I tell you everything is connected, I know what I'm talking about.

I am a professional.

When I ask if you've ever had a massage before, I don't mean by your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/relative/friend.  I mean by a licensed professional.

I do not want to see you naked.  I don't care if you're not modest.  I am.  Allow me to leave the room BEFORE you beginning unbottoning your shirt or undoing your pants.  I am trained in draping.  I will only expose whatever body part I am currently working on.  You should NEVER feel exposed during a massage.  If you do, let your therapist know and he/she/I will drape you more modestly.

When I ask how you're doing before your session, I don't want to hear about your day.  I am concerned with sore/stiff/tender/tight muscles.

I am well-versed in the kinesiology of MUSCLES.  I do not know if you are misaligned.  I cannot tell you if you have a bonespur.  I cannot crack your back/fingers/toes.  I do not know why your body feels a certain way.  I cannot diagnose you.  Seriously.  I am legally not allowed.

I am a paid professional.  You are my client.  Our relationship during that session is as such.  You are not privy to personal information about my life.  It is none of your business where I live, where I hang out, what my relationship status is, where my family lives, what my ethnicity is, how old I am...etc.  Please do not ask me personal questions.  If you would like to talk during the session, that is perfectly fine.  It is your session.  If talking makes you more relaxed, by all means, go right ahead!

The intake form you are given to fill out is necessary.  Your health determines what types of massage you are eligible for...if any.  If you are told you cannot receive a massage because of the health information you have given, trust that we know what we are talking about.  Cancer, for example, is not completely contraindicated (unsuitable for massage); however, there are a LOT of dos and don'ts involved.  I, personally, am not comfortable with oncology massage.  I am not trying to offend you by not working on you.  I am not trained to perform oncology massage and I am looking out for your best interest.

Massage Therapy is a health industry.  Yes, it crosses over into beauty and luxury.  Ultimately, the goals are health.  TRUST that I know what I'm doing.  I am not a glorified lotion applicator.

I went to school for Massage Therapy.  I am a licensed professional.  It took hard work and a lot of studying to become an LMT.  This is NOT a stepping stone for me.  THIS is my career.  I am not an underachiever.  You are not entitled to look down your nose at me.  My career choice is just that.  My choice.  I provide a beneficial service.

I am not a masseuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment