Monday, August 15, 2011

Massage Monday : continuing education

Part of keeping my massage license current, is taking CE (Continuing Education) courses.

In Florida, LMTs (Licensed Massage Therapist) are required to renew their licenses every odd numbered year by August 31st.  In order to do so, we have to complete 24 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) or one CEU for every month that they have been licensed if it is their first renewal period.  12 of those CEUs must be live, in class, hours.  6 of the CEUs are required - Massage Ethics, Florida Law, HIV and Medical Error Prevention.

Basically, we have 2 years to complete these courses...and I waited until this weekend...16 days before the deadline.

I am such a procrastinator!!  

In my defense, CEs are incredibly expensive and time consuming.  I just found myself putting it off...and off...and off...until it was almost too late!  I have a list of a few different courses I'd like to take.   Pre-natal, Touch for Health and Reflexology to expand my repertoire.  Swedish, Deep Tissue, Hot Stone, Sports and Chair to grow in the modalities I currently provide.  Unfortunately, when you put things off to the very last minute, the options greatly decrease.

I did the same thing last cycle.

I swore I wouldn't leave it to the last minute this time.  I planned on taking courses I was genuinely interested, a few CEUs at a time, so it wouldn't be too much of a financial or time constraint.  But, life is expensive...time is fleeting...and I'm not much of a planner.  So, here I am.  Again.

With not much time left, I sat down at the computer on Friday to see what my options were.  Of the courses I was interested in, Touch for Health was the only one with any available courses in my area.  Unfortunately, I would have to take two to fulfill my live hours requirement and still find the mandatory courses as well as 6 other CEUs to finish.  Oh, and did I mention those courses are being held on the 30th and 31st?  Talk about cutting it close!!  Not to mention expensive!!  Had I gone that route, I'd be spending upward of $600...not to mention my license renewal fees!

I decided to go a cheaper route.

Last cycle, I took a course from Massage Online Professor.  The instructor, Karen, offers the full 24 CEUs in one shot.  One price.   You go for one 12-hour seminar that covers 2 courses and the rest of the curriculum is online.  I didn't want to go that route again this year because I really wasn't interested in the course topics she was offering this year...but, when push came to shove, it was the best choice.  

For less than 1/2 of what I was would have paid, I fulfilled all my requirements with more than 2 weeks to spare.  

Whew!  That is a weight off my shoulders!  Now I need a massage to rid me of the stress my procrastination caused!

Have you ever put something off so long that you had to settle for a lesser option?  How do you handle procrastination?

For more massage info...
call - 727.342.0SPA (0772)

No comments:

Post a Comment