Monday, August 29, 2011

Massage Monday : tipping

I've been asked (often enough that it warrants a blog post) if you are supposed to tip after a massage, and, if so, how much.  Massage (as well as skin care and nails) are considered to be in the service industry...just like a server or a bartender, so yes, tipping is the norm.  As far as how much to tip...that can be a gray area.

I prefer not to go the percentage route with this one.  Simply because massages aren't on a fixed rate.  You can go to a luxury hotel or spa and pay upwards of $100 or go to a bargain place, such as Hand & Stone or Massage Envy, and pay less than $50.  Chances are, you're getting the same massage.  The quality of massage depends on the LMT, not their employer.  It is unfair to tip them less because they charge you less...if anything, it should be the other way around!

Tipping is a gratuity...a way to thank someone for a job well done...and it should be treated as such.  If you are unhappy with the service you were provided, don't tip!  If you were overjoyed, show it!  

Most LMTs (unless they work for themselves) work on commission.  That commission doesn't add up to much when the client is only pay $35 for their massage!  We rely fairly heavily on tips, and are very grateful for generous clients!  

I have work at low-end (as far as payscale is concerned) places, and, for me, every penny counts! 

Based on an hour Swedish massage...I am okay with $10.  I am content with $15.  I am happy with $20. I am ecstatic with anything more!

How do you feel about tipping for spa services?  How much do you think is a fair tip?  

For more info on massage...
727.342.0SPA

1 comment:

  1. not that I have ever had a massage but this is good to know if I ever do.

    ReplyDelete