Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Jesus over facebook

Over the last few weeks, I've been racking my brain, trying to figure out what to give up for lent this year. I usually fast one day a week - this year it'll be sundays because I don't work on sundays and my job is very physical. I want to give up something that will be really difficult.

Last year I gave up chocolate. I missed it, but I found I just ended up replacing it with other sweets. The year before I gave up meat. Now that was hard! I could never be a vegetarian. I considered doing that again this year, but I don't think I can afford forty days worth of balanced, meatless nutrition. I considered alcohol, but I honestly don't drink that much or that often anymore so it really wouldn't be much of a sacrifice. Caffeine was a thought, but I often go weeks at a time without simply because there isn't any in the house.

So I thought, what is something I use frequently that would really be trying for me to give up? Thats when it hit me! Facebook! I am a facebook-aholic. I check my page and my feed at least a dozen times throughout the day. Now this would be something requiring some real effort and will power. I don't want it to be a repeat of last year...replacing it with something similar rather than turning those cravings to God. So I will be void of twitter, myspace, youtube and googlebuzz as well.

How much better will my prayer life be, how much stronger will my relationship with God become, if I take all the time I usually spend on these social networking sites and instead use it to grow in Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment