Wednesday, February 17, 2010

LIWD :: day 1 :: Fulfillment


Have you assumed that your ultimate fulfillment would be found in marriage? Have you privately entertained the notion that the only satisfied women are married women? Have you been expecting your career to satisfy you until you are married? If you have answered "yes" to any of these questions, then you have a prospect of disillusionment looming in the future. "...A woman becomes a woman when she becomes what God wants her to be." (Kenneth G Smith, Learning to Be a Woman) This priceless truth can help keep your perspective clear in relation to true fulfillment in life. Too many Christian women think that the inner longings of their heart relate only to love, marriage, and motherhood. Chapman one remarked, "I feel very strongly that marriage is not a higher calling than the single state. Happy indeed are those people, married or single, who have discovered that happiness is not found in marriage but in a right relationship with God." Fulfillment for a Christian woman begins with the Lordship of Christ in every area of her life.

Fulfillment for a Christian woman begins with the Lordship of Christ in every area of her life.

Like any young girl, I often dreamt of the day my prince charming would come sweep me off my feet. We'd have a flawless white wedding, have a brood of beautiful children and live happily ever after. As I grew older, I never really let go of those 'goals'. I wanted, make that still want, that perfect guy, perfect wedding and perfect family...but my ideals of what that means has greatly changed. The perfect guy isn't flawless, he is the one God chose for me. The perfect wedding doesn't need to go off without a hitch, simply pledging my love, in front of God and all my friends and families, to my God-send is all I want. The perfect family isn't of the stepford variety, but a family that loves eachother unconditionally and lives for our Savior.

I've grown to know that I don't need those things to be happy. Jesus is my heavenly prince and He can fulfill my heart and my soul in ways that no earthly man ever can. That's not to say I don't yearn for these things. I pray that it is in Gods plan for me to be a wife and mother someday...hopefully sooner rather than later, but I resolve to be patient and wait for His timing.

I struggle daily with becoming who God wants me to be. It's so easy to just lay back and let life pass you by. Bettering yourself, building a strong relationship with God, takes time, commitment, faith and work. I long to be the woman God intends for me to be. I long to radiate Gods light in all of my daily interactions. But, man, it's hard! I struggle with so many things over and over again. All I can do is ask for His forgiveness, pray, read my bible and try again.

While it's difficult to consider the possibility that it just may not be in Gods plan for me to ever be married, it's a pill I have to swallow. I am content in my singleness. I know that God is there for me no matter what. I know that in return for my faithfulness He will have great rewards for me in the next life. I will continue my journey with Him, no matter how difficult, and choose to follow wherever He leads me.

No comments:

Post a Comment