Friday, April 16, 2010

LIWD :: day 51 :: Distractions in Prayer / Amy Carmichael

Amy Carmichael

Amy Carmichael was born December 16, 1867, in Millisle, Northern Ireland, the oldest of three sisters and four brothers. She was raised in the Presbyterian church.

During her adolescence Amy showed signs of a great poetic gift. In 1885 she had a mystical experience that set the course of her spiritual pursuit.

Amy's passion for missions was ignited in 1887 when she heard China Inland Mission founder Hudson Taylor speak. Five years later, God's words "Go ye" were all the confirmation she needed to set her course for foreign lands. She was rejected by C.I.M. because of her frail health, but in 1893 she served the Japanese mission as a "Keswick missionary," and in 1895 she departed for India. Miss Carmichael soon formed the evangelizing "Woman's Band" and took in her first "refugee."

In 1900 she moved to the infamous Dohnavur where she eventually founded the "Dohnavur Fellowship." In 1903 Amy's Things as They Are was published, launching her career as a prolific writer. In 1916 she founded "Sisters of Common Life," a spiritual support group.

Miss Carmichael was crippled by a fall in 1931; four years later, she became bedridden. She remained thus until her death on January 18, 1951, and was buried at her beloved Dohnavur.

Distractions in Prayer

Sometimes nothing helps so much as to turn from trying to pray, and instead, to read on the knees of the spirit some familiar passage from the Bible, for those words have a power in them to effect that of which they speak. Another sure way into peace is found in a literal obedience to Colossians 3:16. Turn a psalm or a hymn into prayer, read or repeat it aloud, for to speak to oneself deep down in one's heart, using words that one knows and loves, is often a wonderfully quickening thing to do, and nothing more quickly and gently leads one into the place of peace, where prayer is born....

Sometimes we cannot find words...do not be afraid of silence in your prayer time. It may be that you are meant to listen, not to speak. So wait before the Lord. Wait in stillness... And in that stillness, assurace will come to you.... You will know that you are heard; you will know that your Lord ponders the voice of your humble desires; you will hear quiet words spoken to you yourself, perhaps to your grateful surprise and refreshment.

Do not be afraid of silence in your prayer time. It may be that you are meant to listen, not to speak.

I love to sing. I love to sing praises to my Lord and Savior. I never feel as close to God as I do when I'm singing His praises. I often feel overwhelmed with emotion when I'm singing out to Him...eyes closed, arms raised, heart open.

Sometimes I can't find the words to portray what I long to say to God. I know that God knows my heart and that even when I can't formulate the words...He knows...but still, being able to convey the words to God helps to fulfill my hearts desires. So I'll turn on my itunes, put it on shuffle and ask God to read my heart.  More often than not, when I am fully seeking God, a song will come on that perfectly portrays my hearts emotions.

One of my favorites right now is The Stand by Hillsong United. The words are so powerful. I tear up almost everytime I sing these words out to my God and Savior.

So I'll stand
with arms high and heart abandoned
in awe of the One who gave it all
I'll stand
my soul, Lord,
to You surrendered
all I am is Yours

What song...or verse...does that for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment