Friday, April 23, 2010

LIWD :: day 57 :: Consider...Your Friends

When Ruth told Naomi, "your people shall be my people," she understood that she would not be able to grow closer to the God of Israel if she remained among the Moabites (her own people).  Ironically, God called Moab His washbasin (see Ps. 60:8; 108:9).  One rinses dirt off in a washbasin.  Ruth chose to leave the washbasin and head for Bethlehem which means the "house of bread."

Even today there exist "Moabites" who will undermine your growth if you spend too much time with them....  Realizing that one's friends drive you either toward or away from God, you may need to find a "new people" who will encourage your growth and not hinder it....

...When a woman stops growing spiritually, the lack of progress can often be traced back to a friendship that undermined her commitment to Jesus.

Take a moment to think about the spiritual depth of the girlfriend who influences you the most.  Is she daily becoming all that Jesus desires?  If so, her growth will challenge you to grow.  On the other hand, her apathy may ultimately be contagious.

...one's friends drive you either toward or away from God.

They say you can tell alot about a person by the people they surround themselves with.  I'd say that's true -- to a point.  We tend to hang around with people similar to ourselves simply because that's who we have things in common with.  They like the same things we do.  They have the same sense of humor.  The same sense of adventure.  They get us.

I'd be naive to say that my friends don't influence me.  I'm not saying that I would do something just because someone else is doing it or because someone told me it was a good idea, but I value the opinions of my friends...and they do have an impact on my decisions.

That being said, I try to surround myself with people who I respect.  As I've grown closer to God, I have found myself 'weaning' away from certain friends, or groups of friends, as the case may be.  These aren't bad people, they just are going in a direction that doesn't align with the direction I want to go.  I have become closer with friends who are followers of Christ.  They encourage me in my walk.  They tell me when I'm going in the wrong direction...even when I don't want to hear it.

I'm not saying that, as a christian, you should only be friends with other believers.  Not at all.  You can be an encourager to them.  You can be one of the steps that leads them to Christ.  I just believe that you need to be careful that you are not following the lead of your unbelieving friends.  Make sure that your sights are set on God and that these friends are not leading you off course.

There are times in my life when I am weak.  When I am easily swayed.  It is those times that is especially important that I surround myself with other believers.  There advice will line up with Gods word, leading me to where I need...and want...to be.  Whereas my unbelieving friends will lead me to the ways of the world...they may not have bad advice, but it won't be what God wants me to hear.

I don't think it's necessary to cut people out of your lives necessarily...just make sure the people whose advice you are heeding are speaking from the love of Christ and not from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment