Monday, April 5, 2010

LIWD :: day 41 :: Compromise

Marriage to a non-Christian brings pain to the believing wife.  As women, we long to be known and loved for all we are.  A man who is spiritually dead can never know the very intimate spiritual part of you that is your heart. He would be blind to much of what you would try to share with him.  He could never know and understand you fully. 

Be careful when you begin to think that you are "in love" and you "just can't live without him."  Think again.  Think of the loneliness you will feel when your husband will not attend church with you.  Think of the angry bickering that may take place between the two of you because he can never understand the depths of your spiritual awareness and, consequently, your convictions.  If you do not think about this now, you may one day think, "Before I couldn't live without him; now I can hardly live with him."...

Please consider a greater consequence than being unhappily married to a man who does not know your Lord....  Will it be worth the compromise when your children look up at you and ask why daddy doesn't love Jesus?

...you may one day think, " Before I couldn't live without him; now I can hardly live with him."

 I grew up in a home with one parent who was a believer and one who was not.  My father does not understand our faith.  He does not understand our commitment to our churches.  He does not understand our relationships with Christ and why He is so important to us.  He doesn't listen when his wife or children try to explain why we believe what we believe.  He doesn't try to know the Jesus that we know.

In high school, he told my mother I was in a cult...in reality, I was part of a weekly bible study called hi-ba (high school born againers).  The phrase 'born again' scared him.  More recently, he told me Jesus was going to get sick of me because I spend too much time speaking His name and listening to christian music. 

It's hard knowing that my dad isn't going to go to heaven.  It's difficult knowing that my dad isn't open to knowing my Jesus.  It's hard now, but it was incomprehensible when I was growing up.  What do you say when your child asks if daddy's going to heaven?  Do you lie and say yes?  Or do you tell them daddy's going to hell because he hasn't accepted Jesus Christ as his own personal Lord and Savior? 

Why set yourself up for unnecessary hardships?  Don't waste your time dating someone who wouldn't be an ideal mate for you.  High standards are not a bad thing.  Take the time to make a list of the characteristics you want...no, need...in a mate.  Pray over and hold fast to it.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment