Thursday, March 18, 2010

LIWD :: day 26 :: Julian of Norwich / Revelations of Divine Love

Julian Norwich

Julian is the most popular of the English mystics.  She lived as a Benedictine nun in Norwich, beside the St. Julian Church, from which she most likely took her name.  Little is known about Julian's life, although she is mentioned by her contemporary, Margery Kempe.

Julian's book, Revelation of Divine Love, entitled her to become the first great female writer in the English language.  Despite her disclaimers of being unskilled as an author, she wrote lively prose in a style all her own.  She was well trained in the Bible as well as in teachings of the Church.

Her theology is based upon her mystical experiences.  She became ill at the age of 30 and, in the midst of suffering, prayed for a vision of Christ's sufferings.  Once in a time of prayer Julian heard the words, "I am the foundation of your praying" -- words that greatly influenced her spiritual life.  She always pointed to the goodness and love of God, a light in time of darkness for Julian, who lived in an age of social unrest and the fear of the Black Plague.

Revelations of Divine Love

...Oftentimes our trust is not full.  We are not sure God hears us, as we think because of our unworthiness, and because we don't feel right (for we are as barren and dry oftentimes after our prayers as we were before)...For thus have I felt in myself. 

And all this brought our Lord suddenly to my mind, and He showed me these words.  he said, "I am the Ground of your asking: first it in my will that you have it; and afterwards, I make you to to will it;  and then, I make you to ask it and you do ask for it. How should it then be that you do not have what you ask for?"

...

For it is most impossible that we should ask mercy and grace, and not have it.  For everything that our good Lord makes us to ask, Himself has ordained it to us from without beginning.  Here may we see that our asking is not cause of God's goodness; and He showed that in all these sweet words when He said : I am [the] Ground.  -- And our good Lord wills that this beknown of His lovers on earth; and the more that we know [it] the more should we ask, if it be wisely taken; and is our Lord's meaning.

I am the Ground of your asking: first it is My will that you have it; and afterward, I make you to will it; and then, I make you to ask it and you do ask for it.

God is good...all the time.  All the time...God is good.  If we are truly living in His word and following in His will, then what we ask for in prayer will surely be in His will.  I often ask for earthly things.  I pray for Him to save me from my financial distress...I pray for material goods...I ask for these things so long as they are in His will.  I'm not angry, upset or disappointed when I don't get everything I ask for.  I know there is a rhyme and a reason for everything He does, or gives, regardless of whether or not I understand it. 

I know that these materialistic prayer requests are no more than second to my prayers of spiritual healing for myself and others and to my repentance.  I know that God longs for me to be compassionate and forgiving, just as He has been (and always will be) to me.  I know that God wants to radiate through me.  I know that I have the capability of shining His light unto others.  I know that won't happen if I'm not right with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment