Wednesday, March 10, 2010

LIWD :: day 19 :: Don't Give Too Easily


Don't let your heart be given away too easily.  If a man says he loves you, you don't have to echo the phrase.  To men these three words can mean all kinds of things, like "I lust for you" or "I want you to kiss me."  Or maybe he just can't think of anything else to say at the moment!...  Gradually those "I love you's" can trap you emotionally and lead you on physically.  To guard the key to your heart, make a commitment to say you love someone only if you love him with a committed love, not a casual love feeling.  You will remain much more in control of your friendship.  Real love will have time to blossom and grow without those three words.  Guard and save them to be whispered when God reveals it is time.  What a gift to tell your fiance, "you are the first person I have ever said this to: 'I love you.'"  Give meaning to those precious words, and you may use them and hear them with fondness through many happy years of marriage.

There's a second step you can take to guard your purity.  It's a radical statement, but save all your kisses for your future husband....

A woman's kiss or embrace is not just another way of saying thank you!  A kiss should say something more intimate.

...save all your kisses for your future husband.

I have a few qualms with todays devotional.  While I think it's a great thought for the only man you ever kiss to be your husband, it's not very practical.  It's about 13 years too late for me to save all my kisses.  This is just a concept I can't quite fathom.  I mean, more power to you if you choose to not kiss until your wedding day, but that's just not something I feel is necessary.  I don't think kissing is a sin.  I don't believe it's against Gods will.  I do believe that it can lead to other things, it's just a matter of drawing a definitive line and holding fast to your convictions. 

I do agree that you should guard your heart.  I am a romantic.  I love a good love story.  I've been known as boy-crazy - I'd like to say I am no longer that way.  I fall easily.  I become enraptured quickly.  I have an obsessive personality.  When I like something (or someone), I really like it (or them).  It takes effort for me not to fall completely.  Past experiences...past heartaches...have had a part in making this easier.  Every time your heart is broken, it hardens a little.  So for everytime I've let myself be vulnerable enough to get hurt I've made it that much harder for my godsent to break through to my heart. 

I am guarded with the words 'I love you'.  I use them freely when talking to my friends and family.  I want them to know they are loved and that I care.  When it comes to dating, however, that is not something I take lightly.  They are not just words.  They are a pledge of your affection.  I am blessed, in that, my boyfriend feels the same way.  I would not want him to say he loved me because that's what he's supposed to say.  I only want to hear those words from his lips when he truly means it.  That's when it means something.  That's when it's special.  That's when it's romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment