Wednesday, March 31, 2010

LIWD :: day 37 :: Your Assignment: Wait


Naomi told [Ruth] that Boaz was a candidate for being their kinsman-redeemer....  This simply meant that the Mosaic Law allowed Boaz, as the closest kin, to redeem the childless widow and keep the family name alive....

Naomi instructs Ruth to approach Boaz and ask him if he would be their kinsman-redeemer...His willingness was directly related to the character he had noticed in her responses to life and God.

...

Naomi's response to Boaz's willingness may have put a damper on most single women's racing heartbeat.  "Then Naomi said, 'Wait, my daughter, until you find out what happens.  For the man will not rest until the matter is settled today'" (Ruth 3:18 NIV).  Who has to wait?  The woman must wait.  Who is the one who will not rest?  The man, Boaz, will not rest.

Wait.  Such an assignment is not to cause suffering, but prevent it.  Woman experience so much needless pain when they run ahead of God's format.  Naomi knew that there may exist an even closer kinsman who would qualify to redeem her and Ruth...Naomi did not want Ruth's heart to race ahead into disappointment in case the cicumstances did not go as assumed.

Wait.  Such an assignment is not to cause suffering, but prevent it.

It's so easy to get ahead of ourselves.  It's so easy to blur the lines between fantasy and reality.  It's so easy to have our hearts broken when we wear our hearts on our sleeves.  It's so easy to blind ourselves from that which we do not wish to perceive.  It's so easy to interpret things in our favor.  It's so easy to jump conclusions.  It's so easy to believe things are the way we wish without actually looking at the facts.  It's so easy. 

I have always been a romantic.  I have always wanted that fairy tale...that happy ending.  I have always dreamed of my prince charming coming and saving me from all that ails me.  I have always let my daydreams get the best of me.  I have always tried to guess what comes next.  I have always imagined what comes next to be amazing and romantic. 

When we try to predict the future, we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.  We cannot control someone elses free will.  We cannot know every thought they are having or where their heart is leading them.  I have often gotten way ahead of myself when it comes to relationships.  Things will be going well, or maybe just even okay, and I'll imagine that they are amazing.  I trick myself into believing things are better than they are.  In doing this, I only made it that harder when things didn't work out. 

When I look back at my past relationships, I know that they didn't work out for a reason.  I know that none of those guys were the one God destined for me to be with.  But I didn't always see that at the time.  There was the one I pined over for years...when we only technically were together for 3 days.  It took years for me to take off the rose-colored glasses and see that relationship for what it truly was.  It was hard when I finally accepted that we were not meant to be, that we were not good for eachother, but I'm so glad I did.  I know that if things had 'worked out' between us, we would both be miserable.  I'm so thankful God opened my eyes to that.  But, man, did I struggle to keep those rose-colored glasses.  Everything was just so much prettier with them on.

God already has plans for us.  He knows what's best for us.  It's up to us to use our free will to obtain that.  By listening to Him, and following in His word, we won't need those rose-colored glasses anymore.  Everything won't be perfect, but it will be fulfilling.  Following God is not a fix-all.  It's not a 'snap of the fingers' and everythings grand.  It's a life plan.  It's a way of ensuring that you are becoming all you can be...all God yearns for you to be.  It's a way of praising God by giving Him what He desires of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment